Yummy! Dragonfly cupcakes - they are such a pretty design and I had to put my own stamp on them by using a blue and purple colour scheme. You can get purple dragonfly's can't you?
These delicious morsels were made up of devils food cupcakes, topped with chocolate ganache, then covered with fondant discs and decorations. The cute little antennae are made out of bean vermicelli noodles so they're edible. They're just sooo cute. And I suppose the bows are cute too.
The devils food cupcakes are from Cupcake bakeshop by Chokylit, the ganache recipe is below and both the bow and dragonfly designs are from the book Planet Cake by Paris Cutler.
150g dark chocolate
150g milk chocolate
⅓ cup cream
Place all ingredients into a small, heavy based saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and ganache is combined. Allow to cool to a spreadable consistency, then spread a layer over cupcakes and allow to set.
1. Once ganache has set on cupcakes, cover with a disc of fondant in a colour of your choice.
2. In a contrasting colour, roll out about 6-7 balls of fondant in reducing sizes from about a large pea to a small pea size.
3. Stick to the cupcakes in a curved line with either edible glue or water.
4. While fondant is still soft, poke in two small lengths of vermicelli noodles into the largest ball for the antennae.
5. The wings are made from white fondant by using a heart cutter, then cutting the hearts in half. (Note: I didn't use a heart cutter, I used a petal cutter then used a knife to cut the curve off one side)
6. Glue two wings onto each side of the dragonfly body. DONE!