It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. The tree and decorations are up, the shops are crowded and I've started playing Christmas carols on my days off. Yep, I'm one of those people. I like Christmas! With my gift shopping complete and Christmas lunch menu planned, I can sit back and start on the fun stuff.
Rum balls are not only delicious, they can make a fabulous gift for family and friends. Simply pop them in clear bags, jars, or chinese boxes tied with ribbon, or place in mini cupcake or truffle cases and a gift box tied with ribbon.
Festive Rum Balls
½ cup sultanas
250g packet plain sweet biscuits (e.g. Arnott's Nice)
¾ cup desiccated coconut
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
395g can sweetened condensed milk
2-3 Tablespoons dark rum (depending on taste)
extra desiccated coconut for rolling (or chocolate sprinkles/melted chocolate)
1. Optional - soak sultanas in a couple of tablespoons rum for a few hours or overnight and they will become soft and juicy full of rum (yum!)
2. Process biscuits in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs
3. Transfer to a large bowl and add coconut and cocoa and stir to combine
4. Add the sweetened condensed milk, rum and sultanas and stir with a wooden spoon until all combined (should be a fairly stiff mixture)
5. If soft, refrigerate mixture until firm enough to roll into balls
6. Roll into small balls (about a heaped teaspoon), then roll into extra coconut. Rum balls can also be rolled in chocolate sprinkles or dipped in melted chocolate
7. Store in the fridge or freezer (for up to a month) in an airtight container or ziplock bags
Rum balls can of course be adapted to individual tastes and the sultanas and rum can both be omitted depending on taste. This can however change the consistency of the mixture and make them more firm or soft.